The lowdown on mold

Mold is essentially a fungus that grows from tiny, microscopic, airborne spores. To grow and flourish, mold spores like a dark, damp area and a source of food, such as dust. Both of those criteria are beautifully met in the average basement. The truth is, most basements have some sort of mold in them, but not all mold spores are created equal. Some are much more dangerous than others.

The most common indoor molds are alternaria, cladosporium, aspergillus and penecilliumm which are the most benign types. Black mold, on the other hand, can cause serious health issues.

Coming in contact with mold in the basement can cause a huge array of health problems, including irritated eyes, wheezing, coughing, asthma symptoms, skin irritation and more. Repeated or prolonged exposure can make these symptoms worse, particularly for those who are more susceptible, such as children, the elderly and those with decrease immune function.

  • The presence of mold in a basement can also cause serious health issues as well. Black mold can cause serious lung problems and other very harmful health concerns. If you have a compromised immune system, you can experience severe versions of these conditions as well as damage to the central nervous system which can cause problems with concentration, headaches, memory loss and dizziness.

  • The good news is this: Identifying mold in your home’s basement is not difficult. One of the tell-tale signs is that mold is present is a musty, stale smell. Even if you’ve never actually smelled what mold smells like, you will recognize the smell instantly. It can be more challenging to locate the source of the mold, but it’s definitely possible. The first thing to do is to look for visible signs of mold. Once you find mold growth, one of the best ways to treat it is to spray down the area with bleach. It may take a few sprays to get the smell to go away, but it should work. If, however, you can’t locate the source of the mold (which is possible, considering mold likes to grow in hard-to-reach places) you may need to call in a professional to deal with it. Mold removal companies and basement waterproofing companies such as are very skilled at locating and removing mold, as well as waterproofing the basement so that the conditions are dry and less favourable to the growth of mold.

  •  Even if you don’t have mold in your basement yet, it’s a good idea to take measures to prevent the growth of it in the future. Use a dehumidifier to create a drier environment in your basement and use an air purifier to reduce the amount of dust in the air (remember, mold feeds on dust). And finally, it’s always a good idea to have your basement waterproofed by a qualified waterproofing company. By taking the steps to ensure the environment in your basement isn’t conducive to the growth of mold, you’ll reduce your family’s risk of mold-related illnesses. And that’s a very good thing!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *